I have always been a fan of roasting any vegetable to caramelize its natural sugars. This fantastic side dish goes a step further by adding a spicy kick that makes these carrots addictive.
6 large carrots, peeled, ends trimmed
1 egg white from a large egg
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon water
1½ teaspoons garlic powder
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
1½ teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 450˚F. Cover a jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Cut each carrot in half to make 2 (3–4 inch) pieces.
3. Cut each carrot half in half lengthwise. With the cut-side down on the cutting board, cut each half into 3 equal strips.
4. Place the egg white into a large shallow bowl or container and whip with a fork or whisk till foamy.
5. In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, water, garlic powder, cumin, sugar,paprika, and white pepper.
6. Place the carrot sticks into the beaten egg; toss the egg white.
7. Stir the carrots into the spice mixture. Arrange in a single layer on a prepared pan. Sprinkle with the salt.
8. Roast, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
9. Transfer to a serving plate or bowl.
This post comes from the upcoming release “Kosher By Design: Teens and 20-Somethings” by Susie Fishbein and published by ArtScroll Shaar Press. Preorder your copy today and receive free shipping within the continental U.S. on your entire order from ArtScroll.com.